The Pioneer Centre, Frobisher Place, St Mary Road, Peckham, London SE15

from £65.00
Size:

Illustration by Andrew Cadey

The Pioneer Health Centre was opened in Peckham in south east London in 1926 by Dr George Scott Williamson and Dr Innes Hope Pearse. Known as the ‘Peckham Experiment’, they sought to observe families in a typically diverse metropolitan community setting and to monitor the factors that contributed to human health.. The first phase of the project closed in 1929, but funding was then sought to build a larger centre that was more suitably designed for purpose. In 1935 the project moved to its new home - a purpose-built Modern building on St Mary’s Road.

Designed by Sir Owen Williams, at the centre of the building is a large swimming pool, surrounded by rooms with large areas of glazing that allowed plenty of natural light into the building.. Originally some of these windows were retractable and could be fully opened to circulate fresh air into the building.

Since its innovative approach did not fit well with the newly formed National Health Service the building closed in 1950 and it later transferred to council ownership, operating as a leisure centre and Southwark Adult Education Institute. Listed grade 2* in 1972, the building was sold In the 1990’s and converted into apartments.

Limited first edition print run of 20

Illustration by Andrew Cadey

The Pioneer Health Centre was opened in Peckham in south east London in 1926 by Dr George Scott Williamson and Dr Innes Hope Pearse. Known as the ‘Peckham Experiment’, they sought to observe families in a typically diverse metropolitan community setting and to monitor the factors that contributed to human health.. The first phase of the project closed in 1929, but funding was then sought to build a larger centre that was more suitably designed for purpose. In 1935 the project moved to its new home - a purpose-built Modern building on St Mary’s Road.

Designed by Sir Owen Williams, at the centre of the building is a large swimming pool, surrounded by rooms with large areas of glazing that allowed plenty of natural light into the building.. Originally some of these windows were retractable and could be fully opened to circulate fresh air into the building.

Since its innovative approach did not fit well with the newly formed National Health Service the building closed in 1950 and it later transferred to council ownership, operating as a leisure centre and Southwark Adult Education Institute. Listed grade 2* in 1972, the building was sold In the 1990’s and converted into apartments.

Limited first edition print run of 20

Product Details

Print: Printed on 240gsm Alpha Cellulose paper with a clean white base and a smooth matt surface and acid free. (Titled, signed and numbered in pencil on the reverse)

Mount: High quality ‘ice white’ picture mount with precision cut bevelled edge and a card backing board with printed label. All card is acid free, conservation quality white core, ph neutral board 1.4mm thick